We hope you love the products we recommend and just so you know that as an Amazon Associate & J&P Cycles affiliate, MyEngineNeeds may earn from qualifying purchases.
Your car will serve you well only if you take good care of it. And one of the most important things you have to do is keep the car engine running in tip-top condition all the time is by regularly lubricating and conditioning the engine using the right motor oil.
It’s only if your engine works well, and is kept well maintained will it give you a good return on your investment. So though you may head to your mechanic to do an oil change instead of you doing it yourself, you still need to know which motor oil to use for your car.
Everyone knows that synthetic oils are rather popular and considered a better option for today’s car engines. Though there are so many types and brands of synthetic motor oils available, 5w20 motor oils are rather popular. These oils are in fact a better choice if you live in a colder climate, where you need thinner oil that quickly heats up and flows easily.
The low viscosity of 5w20 oils creates less friction which means that there is a minimal drag on the engine parts like pistons, crankshaft and valve trains. This, in turn, gives an indirect benefit to you through improved fuel economy. Besides, the runnier nature of 5w20 oils helps the oil pump easily move it from the oil pan to the rest of the engine. This is the main reason it’s a better option if you live in colder climates. However, the 5w 20 oil is relatively safe to use if the temperatures where you live are not too extreme.
Pressed For Time – Here’s Our Top 3
|Castrol 1598EF Edge Extended Performance 5W-20...||Check Availability <<|
|Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic SAE 5W-20 Motor...||Check Availability <<|
|Valvoline High Mileage with MaxLife Technology SAE...||Check Availability <<|
3. Castrol 03086 EDGE Extended Performance 5W-20 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 Quart
- Performance: The strength to perform for 20,000 miles between oil changes
- Power: The muscle to maintain viscosity stability under the extreme force of your engine
- Helps reduce contact between metals while driving at different speeds
- Improves fuel economy by reducing the formation of any engine deposits
- Fluid retention technology offers maximum strength even when in pressure
- Recommended to use in extreme driving conditions like idling, towing, hauling, high-performance driving and while driving in humid and dirty conditions
- Extended oil change interval of 15,000 miles in normal driving circumstances
- One of the best 5w-20 synthetic motor oils available
- Affordably priced for a 5-quart bottle
- Engine wear and tear reduced thanks to titanium additive
- Perfect for drivers who are serious about their car maintenance
- Complaints of reduced fuel economy
The Castrol 03086 Extended Performance Advanced 5W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil is just what your engine requires to work consistently even in changing environments. It comes from the huge, immensely popular global company Castrol, one of the most dominating producers for synthetic oil.
They do indeed produce some of the best synthetic motor oils, making their oils a safe choice for car owners. The Castrol 03086 EDGE is one of them, and just what your car and the engine needs to run perfectly.
It efficiently responds to the different pressures, temperatures and demands of the different metal to metal contact points in the engine while driving at varied speeds. This is because the Castrol EDGE is uniquely structured, and engineered with the help of fluid titanium technology. This technology physically changes the oil’s behaviour at high pressures by doubling its oil film strength. This is how the oil reduces the friction created in the engine.
The preferred choice of racing car drivers
This, in turn, provides unsurpassed protection for all your important engine parts so that it performs optimally as you want your car to. The oil is thus highly recommended for use in severe applications like high-performance driving or racing, idling or regular short trips, driving in humid or extreme temperature conditions and while towing and hauling. Sports and racing car drivers, in fact, prefer using this oil for their car’s maximum performance and protection from the wear and tear of racing and sports.
Extended drain interval
Castrol EDGE offers the advantage of a guaranteed extended drain interval of a maximum of 15,000 miles in everyday and normal driving. However, Castrol does not recommend such an extended interval while driving in severe applications or while driving in extremely dusty and dirty conditions. Oil changes will have to be more frequent in these cases.
Reduces engine deposits
With its reduced viscosity, the oil helps reduce engine deposit formation which in turn helps maximize fuel economy and the engine response. All these features make this 5w-20 motor oil one of the most advanced full synthetic oils money can buy. For best results, Castrol recommends using the oil with Bosch oil filters.
2. Valvoline SynPower 5W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil – 5qt (787023)
- Excellent engine cleanliness through superior sludge and varnish protection
- Outstanding high-temperature protection under severe driving conditions
- Optimal high-temperature protection in severe driving conditions
- Cold-temperature protection provides for faster oil flow for a quick start-up in the cold
- Increases and helps maintain fuel efficiency
- Meets engine requirements of all turbochargers and superchargers in North America
- Keeps engines clean and well maintained
- Reduces the formation of sludge
- Oil change interval after 10,000 miles
- Reasonably priced
- Complaints of receiving the bottle with a broken seal and leaked oil
Valvoline is another brand that is synonymous with synthetic motor oils. The Valvoline Synpower is just what you need to keep your engine clean and well maintained. Regular use of the Valvoline SynPower leads to a clean engine which in turn leads to superb car performance, faster engine ignition time and better running part velocity.
Fast start-up in cold weather
The Valvoline SynPower is a full synthetic oil that is made with high-temperature protection and stability, which proves helpful and useful in severe driving conditions like hauling, racing and idling. It also offers superior cold-temperature protection which means it assures a faster start-up in cold weathers because of the quicker oil flow.
Ultimate cleaning power
The high-temperature protection feature also prevents and protects against deposits. This is why the oil is also known for its ultimate cleaning power in preventing sludge and protects against varnish. This, in turn, leads to reduced engine wear and tear, and consequently increased fuel economy.
Cools down the engine
The temperature protection feature is also helpful for cooling down the engine when it gets too heated up. It also helps the engine remain warm when in cold surroundings. This is how and why the Valvoline SynPower helps meet the requirements of different types of engines.
Increases fuel economy
Regular use of Valvoline SynPower will help not only increase fuel economy but also maintain your car engine fuel efficiency while it ages. This oil especially is catered to protect and maintain the performance of engines of practically all turbocharged and supercharged passenger vehicles in North America, where it can typically last for up to 10000 miles before it needs an oil change.
This is indeed a bit more and longer than the typical, recommended oil change interval for most synthetic motor oils. All these features of the Valvoline SynPower are attributed to its full synthetic formula that contains more durable anti-wear additives which remain in the oil for some time. So if you are looking for the ideal synthetic motor oil to help keeps your engine running at its best, it is better to consider using Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic oil.
1. Valvoline High Mileage with MaxLife Technology 5W-20 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil – 5qt (782253)
- Enhanced anti-wear additives deliver a thick & durable layer of anti-wear film to help prevent auto engine breakdown
- Added detergents help protect against sludge and deposits
- Blend of conventional and synthetic base stocks
- Contains seal conditioning agents to help rejuvenate aging engine seals
- Prevents and stops potential oil leaks
- Ideal for higher mileage (over 75,000 miles), new and rebuilt engines
- Contains extra cleaning agents or detergents that keep older engines clean
- Removes sludge and deposits from the engine
- Contains additional anti-wear additives to prevent engine future wear and tear
- Antioxidants prevent the breakdown of oils and potential engine clogging and sludge formation
- Affordably priced
- Complaints of receiving only 1 quart of oil instead of 12 quarts as in the listing
This Valvoline High Mileage oil with MaxLife Technology is synthetic motor oil from the company Valvoline. It is ideal for use in older cars and engines because it helps improve the engine’s working efficiency. It is, in fact, the first motor oil that is specifically formulated to attend to the unique needs of higher mileage engines.
Ideal for higher mileage cars
This oil is the ideal choice if your car has over 75,000 miles and you now need something to use so that you can fight against possible engine breakdown. MaxLife can serve you well because it is a blend of synthetic and conventional base stocks. It also contains extra ingredients like seal conditioners that will help fight to stop potential oil leaks by rejuvenating your aging engine seals.
Fights friction and prevent future oil leaks
Not only does MaxLife rejuvenate the aging engine seals, it also provides extra wear protection by fighting friction using novel friction modifiers. This helps prevent your car engine from potential, additional future wear and tear and from springing future oil leaks.
Keeps engine clean
The synthetic motor oil also plays an important part in keeping your engine clean with the special ingredients in the oil like extra detergents that bond, and ward off deposits and sludge formation.
Antioxidants prevent oil breakdown
MaxLife also contains anti-oxidants that play a huge role in preventing the breakdown of oil. This, in turn, prevents the formation of any sludge or deposit that eventually ends up clogging engines.
Now that you know more about the top three best synthetic 5w-20 motor oils, it is left to you to choose the perfect oil for your vehicle and engine. Remember, while the oil specified in the owner’s manual may be ideal for your vehicle, it may not always be the best.
You have to find out, and decide which 5w-20 synthetic motor oil is the best for your engine based on your individual driving habits, your engine age and the climate you live and drive in.
Last update on 2021-08-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API